Skip to main content

The Twenty Eighth of May

Welcome to the world. Much of the direction and theme of a written composition is determined by its first couple of lines, and I shall do my best to screw up this particular piece of forced write-up, just like the countless others that have preceded it. Change is what we secretly desire, but change also is the thing we dread the most. The world is a (seemingly) haphazard assortment of spring – mass systems, in seemingly unstable equilibrium, equilibrium because it has inertia and unstable as it has springiness too. The paradox about change is only too well known, but almost never appropriately documented, which perfectly complies with the paradox of change itself. The world can sometimes seem to be standing still, constant and unmoving, almost agonizingly so, the next moment, another facet of the same subject would display mutating volatility, making you doubt your premises and ultimately doubt the world around you, you being the pivot of it, the tool for its cause and the recipient of its effect. Cause and effect they say, checks and balances. The world can make you feel big and small at the same time, if only you can hold these two viewpoints in your mind simultaneously. The whole soap opera industries including its viewers have *gregariously* embraced the phenomenon of contradiction and its fallouts and prepare themselves for the ever changing steady state that’s life and console themselves by showing fantasized love stories or impossible hero-worship-inducing action scenes. The result being today’s entertainment industry or showbiz, the name a perfect epitome of the contradiction surrounding us. How can entertainment ever be equated to business? Sadly though, it is, and people fall for it, into it, they dive into it hook line and sinker. The evil of sensationalism, amplified and glorified by the media, serves as the perfect escape for formally-high-aiming-mediocre who would like nothing more than to safely negotiate the present moment, and live to negotiate another day. What I am talking about is people without a sting in their tail, without an edge to their so-called knives. We live in a society of degeneration camouflaged as peace and harmony, rather a perennial attempt at it.

------------------------------------------------------------

The break of para eventually came in the form of a soup break. And I have forgotten what I was writing, except that it was futile anyway. So I start fresh.

Let us talk about “high”. I have found a host of things giving me (or people around me) a high. But what is this high anyway? What is the deal with the altered state of consciousness, of “tranquility”, “trance”, “the alpha state”, “meditation”, “hypnosis”; as also “drunk” “stoned”... different words for the same outcome, then maybe not? It is all in the head isn't it, eventually. What is it that drugs (legal and illegal) can do to you that you cannot do to yourself? We all, without exception subscribe ourselves to substances or acts which get us into one of these (different?) states of mind, ranging from drinking, smoking, sex (or simulation), coffee (trust me), drugs; as also meditation, pranayam, prayer, yoga, the likes. Why do we need an institutionalized approach to achieve that temporary glorious feeling, when it is our mind that generates and makes-real the feeling eventually? It is like liking for happiness in money, objects, people and situations. Isn’t it the mind that generates the feeling of happiness, and don’t give me the crap that you anyway aren’t in control of your mind, in which case you will be well advised to commit suicide. There ain’t no fun living a live controlled by another independent phenomena. It just isn’t right, ask yourself why. What I’m driving at is simple, and glaringly obvious: why not try and tame your mind, and constrain (?!) it to be happy, rather than signing up for art of living courses or worse so, letting material ambitions drive you to a machine-like state of worldly trade of goods and services; and the worst the money (and more importantly) time and energy in trying to “find” true love. I agree it is the age of technology and media, but you do not “find” love, or friendship or happiness for that matter, on networking forums such as orkut, facebook, MySpace, twitter, hi5 and the thousands others that are making money out of your stupidity. No, contacting your friends et al is not a waste of time, but downloading “hot” pictures and sending anonymous friend requests and “proposals” sure is.

The last I heard, the level to which social networking had progressed was this: “Will you do loveship with me?” Hilarious or sad, your call.

I am not a cynical old man who can see no good in this world anymore; I am just a guy who believes some things have got to change. Change for what, change how – well I am still working on that part. And while I am at it, why don’t I swim in my self-made dump yard, and ask you to think for independent of social standards, and look for a unique, coherent and practical solution to the mess we find ourselves today.

A litmus test for what is right: does it feel right? No not the shell, penetrate the worldly cocoon and see, you’ll know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An eventful Independence Day!

First of all, I’d like to wish Happy Independence Day to all my readers. Today was a day of a national reconciliation for me (like many other of my compatriots). Yet, the national experience of today has been different than previous ones, towards the worse. Although I am more aware about my country today than I was yesterday, I feel no prouder of my country. The feeling I have today is of disappointment (and not disillusionment, mind you). I still believe in my country and its potential to be the world’s finest, but today, I must criticize it for the state of affairs that pervade it. Incidentally, I watched the movie Peepli Live today, and it left me disappointed and depressed. I already know the current state of India, how it is soiled in corruption, red tape and dirty politics – what I didn’t learn is how can I make a difference… what I, the Common Man of India can do today to ensure a more prosperous tomorrow. The movie had plenty of Masala , its fair share of Profanities (were th

The Coronation of Wazza

Caution: The f ollowing discussion is wrought for football (soccer?) fans, especially those in favor of a club by the name Manchester United. Viewer discretion recommended. A long ball was launched up to Rooney and he took it down with a great touch, turned, and with the Arsenal defense backing off, hit an unbeatable curling shot into the top corner to send Goodison wild. Everton had won, Arsenal’s unbeaten run was over, and Rooney had arrived. Always searching for the sound bite, commentator Clive Tyldesley exclaimed “ Remember the name: Wayne R ooney ! ” That was October2002 – he was only 16 then. Wayne Rooney signed for the Reds two seasons later after a staggering £27m tra nsfer. In September 2004 , he scored a hat trick on his United debut. He was only 18 then. Since then, he has scored some truly memorable goals for united including the scorcher volley against Newcastle , the chip against Portsmouth , the late, late winner against Milan . Besides, he has gone through thr

Broken

Nobody knows whats going on inside Nobody must know whats goin on inside I can subject myself to all sorts of shit And I can swim in the seas of agony And I can kill myself for doing it I can taste sweet, sweet depression I can scale the orgasmic pinnacle of pain And I can swim through and out of my shit And feel good at the end of it And no one will ever know what made me And I will be made I might seem invincible, but i'm not I might seem vulnerable, but i'm not No one will know what can break me And I can be broken But nobody will know how to break me Cause there's only person that could break me And that... is me.